AtlantaCoug noted in a recent post that Bakersfield edged out Barstow as the biggest armpit of California. While Bakersfield is indeed a dump, I would respectfully disagree that it's the biggest armpit.
The list of California cities which have achieved armpit status is a long one, and would include both Bakersfield and Barstow, but I would personally put them in this order:
1. Blythe - #1, and it's not even close. Blythe might be the biggest armpit west of the Mississippi. Roger Clinton should be the mayor and Rosie O'Donnell should be the head cheerleader at Blythe HS. I never thought any city could make me wish I were stranded at a truck stop in Kingman, AZ, but stopping in Blythe did exactly that.
2. Indio - Blythe's younger and less experienced step-sister. Give her time and she may match the stench and filth that earned Blythe its #1 ranking.
3. El Centro - Another stinking cesspool of a city. The GPS unit in my car actually said "Stinking filth hole ahead" as I approached El Centro.
4. Barstow - Also a dump. It's one of those rare places where you get excited if there's a dead skunk in the road because it overpowers the natural stench of Barstow.
5. Chico - I only drove through there once, but that was enough. It's a freaking hole.
"Do you mind if I sit back a little? Because your breath is very bad." - Donald Trump (to Larry King)