Report problem with this ad
Nov 16, 2009 - 11:16am
Socks and the Honor Code: A BYU tale
When my older brother was at the Y (during the Detmer years) he was the Publisher of the Student Review, which at that time was not the sucky rag it eventually came. I know a number of the people who were on the staff at that time and the caliber (as evidenced by the things they've gone on to do) was exceptionally high.

They also got feature interviews with very cool people, including Rex Lee. By the time I'd come to BYU the SR had been taken over by a bunch of self-consciously rebellious tryhard/blowhards who very little to contribute. Some of them probably now post on Cougarboard.

But I digress.

In 1990 there was still a "must wear socks" rule in the HC. Someone at the HC office actually told my bro and others that it had to do with leg hair being an extension of pubic hair. Yup.

So they decided to do a little photo opp. They put two people under a blanket in front of the BYU statue with just their feet and heads showing. It was captioned "these people are not wearing socks."

I have no idea what impact that had but at least the dumb socks clauses in the HC have been removed (at least I think they have, bc I wore flip flops all the time at BYU).

----

-----

"To capture the public imagination we have to offer up some scary scenarios, make simplified dramatic statements and little mention of any doubts one might have. Each of us has to decide the right balance between being effective and being honest." -- Dr Stephen Schneider, carbon warming freak

oxcoug

Last login
Nov 23, 2014
Total posts
34,705 (1,871 FO)
Recent feedback given
2 2 2
Recent feedback received
18 10 20
Occupation
Media entrepreneur
Date

Posting on CougarBoard

In order to post, you will need to either sign up or log in.