1) My first time to Gillette. Maybe the last. Is there such thing as too big for a college game? It sort of felt like it. No kidding that the band kids nearly outnumbered spectators.
2) The tailgate thing was a bit overrated. Mormons don’t tailgate well and so it was no surprise that pre-game “tailgate” was underwhelming. I was hoping to score some good BYU swag. The selection was limited. Ended up just getting a couple jerseys for the kiddos. I felt bad for the beer concessions...not a good day for tips!
3) The weather ended up being okay. A bit cold and windy, especially late in the game. But luckily no freezing rain.
4) When BYU fumbled and subsequently went down by 10 points, I thought Kalani was in trouble. Way to bounce back but again, it’s just UMass.
5) Everything looks so much different in person than on TV. The game actually seems slower to me in person. Execution was obviously good enough to clobber UMass but overall is very suspect too much of the time. From inaccurate throws, to poor catching, to sloppy O-line play. But then it’s hard to criticize since a win is a win.
6) TH seriously has a great gig. He travels with the team, has field access, and just shoots the crap with everyone all day long ... and he gets paid really well to do it. Does he have any responsibilities when he travels?
Overall, glad to make the trip and support the cougs! The atmosphere was far from a game like the Texas one in Austin a few years ago. Even the UWV game had a much better atmosphere two years ago.