×Sign up, and CougarBoard will remember which categories you want to view. Sign up
Jan 12, 2019
8:57:38am
Acorn All-American
ESPP's are great. Two things to remember with Employee Stock Purchase Plans
There aren't a lot of people that have this opportunity, but I write this for those that do (for those that don't have one at work, they are pretty sweet. It allows you to buy your company's stock, typically at a discount, and depending on the specifics of the plan and market movement, the gains can be massive, but the probability of a loss is almost zero if you sell at the distribution date. It is kind of like playing the market on your company's stock with a guaranteed return (the discount to market), but an opportunity for a lot more upside). Here are the things to remember:

1. As you mentioned, the holding period. My wife had an ESPP when we first got married a long time ago, and I haven't had one since, so I don't remember specifics about the holding period but pretty sure it is longer than a year (I think I know, but don't want to be wrong and distribute wrong info).

2. More importantly, with the longer holding period, you want to make sure it is a good long term holding. If not, you might be better off immediately selling it and using the cash to buy something else. I always ask the question - would I buy this stock today? That is what you are doing when you hold it. You never go broke taking a profit, but if there is a good outlook, there is some sweet tax savings at the end of that rainbow.

C8D, sounds like you have it covered - this is more for other people that have ESPP to make sure they don't donate early.

----

-----

"We will fight, day or night. Rain or snow. There is no mention of fair weather." By a CB Poster but I can't remember who...

The Mighty Acorns was my high school mascot?!

Let's get to a 16 team football playoff. Bigger than March Madness.

Originally posted on Jan 12, 2019 at 8:57:38am
Message modified by Acorn on Jan 12, 2019 at 11:28:54am
Message modified by Acorn on Jan 12, 2019 at 11:36:10am
Message modified by Acorn on Jan 12, 2019 at 11:46:24am
Bio page
Acorn
Last login
Sep 21, 2019
Total posts
9,721 (619 FO)
Recent feedback given
1 11 5 1
Recent feedback received
3 33 4
Date

Posting on CougarBoard

In order to post, you will need to either sign up or log in.