I've seen some in the BYU AD department ask fans on twitter why they haven't
bought/renewed season tickets. It's quite simple why some fans haven't renewed:
- a 3-7 home record against FBS teams the past two years including losses to USU, UMASS, Northern Illinois
- zero P5 wins at home
- very boring games (0 TD's against NIU, 1 TD against UMASS, 0 TD's against Wisconsin, 1 TD against Boise State, 2 TD's against Portland State, 3TD's against McNeese)
- No big wins
- only FBS wins are New Mexico State, San Jose State, and Hawaii
I've been a season ticket holder the past few seasons and am also one this year. However, BYU has to realize there is a decent % of any fan base that are fair-weather fans. They will not keep spending money on such a sub-par performance at home. Not to mention lack of excitement at all of the games mentioned above and some I didn't mention (like CAL last year).
Contrast this with what Utah has done at home the past two years:
- a 7-4 home record against FBS teams
- wins against Arizona, USC, Oregon, BYU, Colorado, UCLA
- scored 40+ points multiple times against P5 teams
For some reason, Sitake has done much better on the road than at home. Almost all of his big wins have been road wins. Winning cures all. You win and have occasional big wins at home and fans will start to come back.
I found it a bit odd that BYU was even aksing this. It's not rocket science why our attendance is going down.