I grew up a BYU fan, but went to the U, and now have two sons who've gone to the U, and, well. . .it's more fun cheering for a winning team, but I still like to see BYU do well. In fact, I think Utah should advocate for BYU to get into the Pac-12, probably with Boise to even things out.
My journey went like this:
1. I hate the Utes. Want them to die. (childhood)
2. Grudging respect. (teenager)
3. Want them to win when not playing BYU. (student at the U)
4. Cheering them on in a big way. (2004, 2008)
5. Utes first, BYU second. (Pac-12 period on, with a boost when my son got a presidential scholarship at the U)