×Sign up, and you can customize which countdowns you see. Sign up
Sep 17, 2019
7:04:13pm
oxcoug All-American
For anyone still gunning at Ty: no OC in BYU history has had to start a QB4
who was also a freshman (or any kind of QB4 in the regular season) - ever. Except Ty. That's 2017 when he played four QBs in the regular season (the first to do that out of necessity). Between QB2, QB3 and QB4 there were a total of ZERO FBS offers.

In 2016 he had inherited one of the most ramshackle OLs in the history of BYU football, enough to offset the advantages of having JW and (still gimpy) Taysom.

The only other instance of a fourth string QB even playing *at all* is Tom Young in 1992 - a guy who had the luxury of handing the ball to one of the best trios of backs BYU ever fielded in Jamaal Willis, Kalen Hall and Hema Heimuli, and throwing to all time greats in Eric Drage and Byron Rex. And he only played in the bowl game.

Things that *only* TFD, of all BYU OCs, has had to do:
1. Start a 4th string QB twice in one year
2. Start a 4th string freshman QB twice in one year
3. Inherit a QB who was battling some personal challenges which he (courageously) shared with the world, ahead of his debut as BYU's starting QB - but at a point at which there was next to nothing he could do to alter the QB pipeline
4. Have two transfers from a lower tier FCS school start on the OL he inherited in his first year
5. Get down to his RB4 and RB5 in stretches of his second season

None of this is to say that Ty doesn't bear the lion's share of responsibility for how bad the 2017 offense was. But people who want to have a fair, informed view of how it went down should take into account that he was dealt a 2-7 offsuit. He probably could have played it better, but that's what he had, especially in 2017.

----

-----

"Sell crazy someplace else - we're all stocked up here."

"Our fan base is, overall, incredibly embarrassing."

-- PortlandUte (such an honest man)

"When it came time for me to select a university, my first choice was BYU here in Provo; however, I did not qualify. Not academically, because I had worked through high school more than I had studied, nor financially, because I could not afford to live away from home. Hence the option I chose was to attend the University of Utah, where I could live at home, work locally, and attend school full-time. Sometimes we need to be willing to adjust our goals and modify our plans while never losing sight of the desired end result."

http://i.imgur.com/a73qhzp.gif
Bio page
oxcoug
Last login
Oct 13, 2019
Total posts
71,035 (11,164 FO)
Recent feedback given
3 31 3 26 11
Recent feedback received
5 185 9 106 40
Date
Sep 17, 7:44pm

Posting on CougarBoard

In order to post, you will need to either sign up or log in.