×Sign up, and you'll be able to vote in polls. Sign up
Jan 7, 2020
3:36:51pm
BYUCougarsFan All-American
The government just screwed me out of $400, anything I can do?
I owned a business. It closed in May of last year.

When we closed I closed everything with the government and everything else. 4 months ago, the state of Utah called me and said I owed $8,000 of sales tax. Either they would put a lien on me and take $32 a month for years (which would hurt my credit score), or I could pay it off by this month (January).

I told them that was crazy, the business is closed. They said because it was closed, I could call it a bad debt to a closed business and lower my total to $6,198 but I had to pay it by January. I had no choice and agreed to pay it by then so it wouldn't hurt my credit score (I sold a car and took a second job nights to make it work).

I've been paying $1,666 a month out of pocket for three months, today was supposed to be my last payment of $1,200.

It was on auto pay. I noticed a week ago that though I only had $1,200 left, they were scheduled to take out $1,666. I called them and they said: "It won't, that listing is incorrect. If it does we'll refund it anyway, so don't worry."

Never trust the government.

They took out the $1,666 today. I called, they said they'd figure it out. Then 10 minutes ago, they called and said they wouldn't refund the $400 because of the original $8,000.

That wasn't our agreement, and I have all the emails to prove it (they don't dispute that, just say tough luck). Anything I can do?

$400 is no small amount to me at the moment.
Originally posted on Jan 7, 2020 at 3:36:51pm
Message modified by BYUCougarsFan on Jan 7, 2020 at 3:38:18pm
Message modified by BYUCougarsFan on Jan 7, 2020 at 3:40:55pm
Bio page
BYUCougarsFan
Last login
Apr 1, 2020
Total posts
30,991 (4,046 FO)
Date

Posting on CougarBoard

In order to post, you will need to either sign up or log in.