×Sign up, and you'll be able to ignore users whose posts you don't want to see. Sign up
Report problem with this ad
Jun 18, 2017
byuluvr All-American
My report of fishing at Deer Creek yesterday
My father and I went back to the same spot we fished from last week on the NE side (where I was skunked, he caught 4 nice rainbows, and my brother caught 1 rainbow). We had poles in the water around 8:15AM and didn't get a bite and after 2 hours we decided we needed to move.

We then moved over to Wallsburg Bay and between not getting bites and the wind blowing our boat (even with anchors) after an hour we decided to switch to trolling. We trolled Wallsburg Bay up to the buoys and didn't get any action.

We then moved over closer to the dam at around 11AM. We trolled along shore for 30 minutes without any luck. We decided to make one last run out in the middle of Deer Creek instead of close to shore. If we didn't catch anything then we'd call it a day. Within 5 minutes of going deeper I landed my first rainbow. After making a large loop we ran through the exact same spot and I landed my second one. And the fishing stayed fast.

In the process of heading back to our great spot my dad hooked a pretty good rainbow (probably 17-18 inches). It fought and jumped out of the water 2-3 times. Sadly it's last jump knocked the lure loose when he was 75ft away from the boat.

In the exact same spot my dad hooked another rainbow. This time we got it all the way to our net where I screwed up and hit the rainbow with the net where he was hooked and knocked him free. I was so mad at myself and my dad kept reassuring me it was alright. He got to fight it and that was the best part.

After shearing the pin on our trolling plate we couldn't keep the speed to under 3MPH and were pretty much stuck cruising at around 3.5MPH. Even heading into the wind and the decent wave sizes couldn't slow us down. Despite this I landed two more rainbows (and had to stop fishing due to catching my limit) and my father was finally able to land one (and I netted them without anymore trouble).

So in short we went skunked for 3 hours and then in the space of 1 hour we'd landed 6 rainbows all around 13-15 inches.

After talking with other fishermen apparently we were some of the only people catching anything. We were fishing with our line out behind our boat 100+ feet. We were fishing with something similar to this https://www.amazon.com/Rapala-X-Rap-Subwalk-Fishing-Lure/dp/B003JZJI42. (same design and color as the lures we used)
Originally posted on Jun 18, 2017 at 4:02:31pm
Message modified by byuluvr on Jun 18, 2017 at 4:04:18pm
Message modified by byuluvr on Jun 18, 2017 at 4:07:57pm
Message modified by byuluvr on Jun 18, 2017 at 4:21:48pm
Report problem with this ad
Bio page
Oct 3, 2011
Last login
Jan 20, 2018
Total posts
16,957 (513 FO)
Recent feedback given
43 4 14 2
Recent feedback received
43 1 4
Report problem with this ad

Posting on CougarBoard

In order to post, you will need to either sign up or log in.